Sunday 29 January 2012

New books

Oh-kaaay, so it's not, strictly, a book, but I wanted to sneak this in as it's my latest 'make' and I'm really pleased with it.  It's made from some lovely old fabric that my gran gave me - it feels like a linen/cotton blend, though I can't be sure - and I've had to patch it together as there were only strips of it left, but I deliberately made the joins visible because I think that they somehow enhance the look and 'old' feel of it.  And how could I resist adding a big, bright pink satin ribbon bow?  Subtle.
And now on to the booky bit hinted at in the title.
I went on a bit of an Amazon spending splurge over Christmas and thought I'd share my spoils with you.  The first book, Stitch With Love, I bought after seeing on Homebird's lovely blog, here
It is my mission for 2012 to learn to embroider and obviously, before I actually got on with any real, actual embroidery, I simply had to buy a book to gaze at first.  And embroidery hoops, fabric and a veritable rainbow of thread...so now I'm all set - just need to get my act together and get on with it now.
The second book I actually bought a while ago after an exciting discovery on Pinterest (oh Pinterest, how I love thee so, even though you suck me in and make hours of my life disappear before my very eyes.)  You may remember that I made a Little Boy Blue Granny Squares blanket for my big boy recently - well, in the interests of fairness and a peaceful life, I also have to make one for my baby boy - obvs.  I had it in my head that I wanted to make a starry blanket, but couldn't find a pattern for a star in a square that I liked.  So I was more than a little excited (some might say tragically excited, in fact) when I found this here.  Just what I'd been looking for!
The book is called Crocheted Gifts: Irresistible Projects To Make And Give and I have to say, I probably wouldn't have bought it if I hadn't been so in love with the blanket - a lot of the things in it aren't my normal style, but I'm glad I've got it nonetheless.  I am absolutely, one hundred percent, prime-time in lurve (name that film) with this pattern, but gawd I'm struggling to find yarn!  I want something fairly light (my Rico blankets are actually quite heavy beasties), I much prefer natural fibres to man-made, I can't spend a fortune, and I want grey, denim blue, cream and possibly a red.  Any suggestions??
And the final book is this:
There are some great things in this book, but why do so many crochet books use really dodgy colour combinations??  I don't get it - do the authors not read blogs?  Do they not cruise Pinterest for hours on end?  What's the deal with the fuddy-duddy styling?  Erk. 
That said, this above is lovely - and as for this:
there's not a chance I won't be making a load of these for a bit of spring-y, Easter-y accessorising! x
PS - I'm approaching some landmarks in my little blog - it's nearly my 'first birthday', I'm nearly at my hundredth post, and I've nearly got a hundred followers.  In honour of this bit of blog-related excitement, I'm planning a bit of a giveaway when I hit the first milestone, whichever that may be!

15 comments:

  1. Love that bag...and as for the books...wonderful!

    Helenxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good evening!

    Your bag is so pretty and I love the way you added a bright pink ribbon for a little bedazzlement!

    That frost flower is stunning and you are another person who makes me feel like I SO want to learn to crochet. I simply don't have the time though.

    Happy creative dreaming to you. A star blanket sounds so poetic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Top Gun!

    Love that stitching book, hope you're pleased with it too. The last crochet book looks right up my street, is going on my wish kit right now!

    Let's see your bright pink KitchenAid then.... I love them! I was too safe when I bought mine and chose cream but now I really wish that I had bought the red one!

    Nicki xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely bag & it sounds as if you're in for a pretty creative time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Because unless you are a foooooool, that boy is off the market, he is one hundred percent priiiime tiiiiime in love with you!....Goose ya big stud!" "Yes honey?" "Take me to bed or lose me forever!" "Show me the way home honey!"

    Oh that little ladybird!

    I don't have any advice about yarn. I can't think of a natural fibre that's light and inexpensive. That's annoying huh!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Emily I agree with you on the colors used in books, I think the color combinations in magazines are even worse. Sometimes I can't believe what they put together, it is so 70"s, but not in a cool way.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  7. Christ Cuckoo, I was about to put that line in......

    ... and you think I'm reckless? When I fly, I'll have you know that my crew and my plane come first.

    Well, I am going to finish my sentence, Lieutenant. My review of your flight performance was right on.

    Is that right?

    That is right, but I held something back. I see some real genius in your flying, Maverick, but I can't say that in there. I was afraid that everyone in the tax trailer would see right through me, and I just don't want anyone to know that I've fallen for you...

    Anyway moving on, your cushion is just delicious, clever you and loving your new books, I love the lady bird, little lady loves them, would love to attempt that one day.

    Have a great week and good luck with your new creations

    xxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now I can totally see why that book with the star blanket was an absolute must buy. It's gorgeous and very inspiring. I totally agree with you about the colours used in a lot of books.....a total turn off. You'd think they could get supplies of decent beautifully coloured wool when writing them. Foul! Loving your cushion too :)

    Hope you have a lovely week Emily x

    Jo x x x

    P.S. "I feel the need, the need for speed" *runs around living room with arms out stretched just an aeroplane.....zooooom, whoosh!

    ReplyDelete
  9. 'Take my breath away lalalallalalalal.........' We have soft snuggly pure wool, that is inexpensive 9.41 gbp for 200grams, but the down side is the cost of postage :( LOVE the lady bug on the leaf. Oh I am a follower now, closer to 100.
    xx Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the star pattern blanket - I can't help with yarn though I'm afraid. It is all so expensive unless you go for unnatural fibres! Good luck with the search. XX

    ReplyDelete
  11. lovely bag :O) and I'm loving the crochet book - seems like there's lots of tuts in it. One day I will know how to crochet :O)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The books look oh-so-tempting, I might just have to expand my library a wee bit more...I got into embroidery last year - you must check out 'Doodle Stitching' by Aimee Ray, it's freestyle embroidery, which is easy and so very forgiving for a newbie like myself (I find some ultra-detailed embroidery beautiful but daunting, I'll try 'needle painting' down the line!). Her book is chock full of easy embellishments and a good stitch guide. Can't wait to see the crochet blanket, I'm doing a rainbow ripple for my girls! -christine x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Some lovely books - it looks like you are going to be pretty busy this year!

    Pomona x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your bag is beautiful. Those books look good, I'll have to check them out. I gave you an award over at mine because I really enjoy your blog. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello - I've just come across your lovely blog. What a treat! That vintage fabric is gorgeous. I totally get the "new book" thing. Nothing makes me happier than new books - cookery, crafting, fiction. Gillian x

    ReplyDelete