Monday 6 June 2011

Crochet update - May

Well hellooooo!  It feels like I've been gone for ages and, do you know what, it's great to be back!  I had had every intention of doing my monthly crochet update before we left for our hols last weekend, but I was ill for a couple of days and then ended up in a mad frenzy trying to pack everything for a family of five, for a week, in just one night....  All fun and games.  We had the best time away, doing lots of things together as a family, and I've got a load of photos to show you, but I'll do that in a separate post.  Anyway, we're back now and I've found my way round the laundry pile to the computer, where I've been trying to catch up on all your beautiful blogs and see what you've all been up to over the past week and a bit.  I have to say, it's almost like finding the world of crafty blogs all over again - you really are an amazingly inspiring and creative bunch and it's been lovely just sitting down and catching up on what you're all up to in crafty-blog-land.
So...my month in crochet terms has felt busy, but looking at my photos, it doesn't seem especially productive.  Hmmmm (or maybe I just need to be a bit more realistic about what it's actually possible to achieve when you have three children and a job...)  The first thing I did in May, was my treat scarf.  I love this project and I'm so pleased I did it.  I promise that I will be doing a 'how to' for this as I know (rather thrillingly) that a couple of people thought about making one too.  It is next on my 'to do' list, once I have posted my springtime throw ta dah (coming very soon!!!).
And the second thing, and the thing that's really been taking up all of my hooky time, is my springtime throw.  I have soooo nearly finished this blanket, I cannot wait to do my ta-dah post for it.  My first ever blanket...sigh...I feel like a fully-fledged crocheter (ha ha, was going to say 'hooker' then, but not sure that sounds quite right).
I spent a slightly silly amount of time on our week away, working on this beastie - Mr N kept finding me hiding in the bathroom/car/cupboard under the stairs feverishly joining squares together (he just doesn't understand, you know).
I really do feel that having made a blanket is some sort of rite-of-passage for me as a crocheter/hooker and I love having a big project like this to work on over a long period of time - something that I can come back to when those smaller, instant gratification-type projects dry up temporarily.  I have already decided what I'm going to do for my next blanket, which will be for our kitchen sofa, and I'm also planning a post on that in the very near future.  That's just five-hundred posts in the pipeline, then. x

5 comments:

  1. Oooohh..! Can't wait to see the ta-dah post for your spring blanket, I'm loving the colours you've used so far for the little squares..!
    I told myself I was going to do a monthly update on what I had done.. but I just don't know if I'd get around to it every month..

    Ashley xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband was frowning at me crocheting whilst camping this weekend! Can't wait to see the springtime throw. I completed my first crochet blanket around this time last year and it really is a great feeling of achievement. Glad you had a fab holiday and are feeling better. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your description of furtive crochet - when a big project is nearing completion I get slightly (ok, more than slightly!) obsessed by it and find myself working on it whilst waiting for my tea to mash, standing in the hall waiting for my lift to arrive, etc. I'm not sure how much I accomplish in these 2 minute bursts but it feels worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those colours are gorgeous - I really should try white more often.

    Nina x

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi found your blog through homebird,love the scarf its gorgeous.xx

    ReplyDelete