Monday 14 January 2013

Allotment in winter

I made my first trip for ages to the allotment on Sunday (the allotment, aka lottie, has, like everything else in my life, been somewhat neglected of late - I blame the builders!)  I swear there's some sort of witchcraft going on there - it's the most Zen place in the entire universe - I can feel myself relax the second I walk through the gates.  My trusty assistant was with me, helpfully available to lean on me every time I tried to take a photo or to tell me, with a look of desperation in her eyes, as I tried to hold her, naked bottom pointing to the ground, legs in the air, that she didn't, in fact, only need a wee...
'What's this, mummy?  What's this?' 'Why, that's perpetual spinach, darling' (pause for proud moment - yes, I can identify that mystery green leaf, even though I haven't been here for an eternity)
I was absolutely amazed at how much is still growing away there:
I think this is broccoli of some sort. Or it could be a cabbage.  I'm not so proud of myself now.  It's definitely a brassica of some sort
('Look at may waife's brassicas'... Name that film.  Extra points for this one, it's tricky)
Okay, this one's another brassica.  Cavolo nero?  Anyone?
I know this one!  Yay.  This is definitely blackcurrants.
Right, this isn't a brassica and it isn't a currant, I can say that with certainty.  It's a leek.  Or it may be garlic.  It's oniony, whatever.
And obviously the trusty old rhubarb is sprouting away already:
Crikey, we still haven't eaten our way through all of last year's rhubarb crop - I'd better get on with it or we'll be disappearing under some sort of pink-stalked mountain.  
Crumble, anyone? x
PS - thank you, you lovely lot, for your comments on my last post - it's so great to know you're all still out there - I really do appreciate your words and have been quietly reading all your blogs in my absence, even though I'm not always very good at commenting x

14 comments:

  1. I missed your last post for some reason, Honey we aren't going to abandon you....life gets busy especially with little ones. Blog when you can and be happy.
    Hugs to you,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like such a calm, peaceful place! Can I come too?! Life is busy...I read the blogs too but don't always have time to comment. We are still here though :) Cx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always get allotment envy right about now. I would love one but hubby could not be less interested in gardening, and I know it would be a nightmare to manage on my own...anyway, your looks like a happy place.

    What you said about the zen-like calm? I get that when I'm fruit picking.

    Gillian x

    Gillian x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Name that film? Wallace and Gromit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit! POINTS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have just stumbled upon your blog in search of a rhubarb and vanilla jam recipe as my rhubarb looks ready for harvest. What a beautiful blog! Am looking forward to following. Have a lovely day xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have just found your blog and and have been enjoying your archives in your absence :)

    I am looking forward to rhubarb. We now have four plants that are starting to poke through. I see crumble and rhubarb wine in our future...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Emma, your blanket, your allotment *swoon*! I totally sympathise regarding life being on hold because of builders, we have had them here since July!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've just found your blog - it's fab! I look forward to more posts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Would the film be Wallace and Gromit Curse of the Were Rabbit?

    This time last year we were planning our long hoped for allotment and then it all fell through ... so I am of course green with allotment envy! Happy growing :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am not envious, I am far too disorganised to manage an allotment, I once spent ages putting loads of veg in the garden, it started well, I put loads of netting up to stop birds/rabbits/cats then everything starting growing really fast and all got stuck in the netting, so I tried and failed to make it taller, then the cats got in and it just all went wrong in a really bad way! I love rhubarb, maybe you could do a giveaway?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmmmm, rhubarb, you can never have too much of it. Good to find your blog ( via Instagram) x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Também tenho uma horta e gostaria muito de ter sementes ou mudas de rubarbo e grosselha você saberia me dizer como encontrar? Tenha um lindo Domingo!
    http://midorihouseheloisa.blogspot.com.br/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooh I love rhubarb. but not too often.. I love the first picture in this post, it's so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius, call/whats-App Contact Number +918929509036 via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete